Top Nav

NEWS: home fire causes $120 K in damage


FIRE: Firefighter and home owner treated for heat exhaustion from Aug. 4 garage fire

iH file photo by Buford Davis

iH file photo by Buford Davis

-An early evening home fire near College Drive and Mission Drive caused extensive damage and sent a Henderson firefighter to the hospital for heat exhaustion, Aug. 4.

The Henderson Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire around 6 p.m., according to Battalion Chief Doug Koopman.  The first engine arrived to find heavy fire and smoke showing from the garage of a one story, single family dwelling.

According to the home owner who was at home at the time of the fire went to investigate why his smoke detectors were sounding. Upon opening the door to the garage, found a fire in the garage. The home owner attempted to extinguish the fire with fire extinguishers from inside the home. He was unable to do so and left the home and accessed 911system.

The fire had extended into the home and throughout the attic space, according to Koopman. The first arriving crew quickly organized an offensive fire attack, made access to the garage, interior of the home and the attic space and quickly knocked the fire down.

The home owner exited the structure but was treated and released for smoke inhalation. One firefighter was transported to the hospital, treated and released for heat exhaustion.

The fire has been determined to be accidental in nature. The total loss is estimated at approximately $120,000. | iH


 

, ,

Powered By Quadshot